Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright

I won a copy through the Goodreads' Firstreads program.
The Rent Collector by Camron Wright gives a look into the life of trash pickers living in a huge dump of Cambodia.
That is the basic plot, but the story does so much more. There is hope / loss, joy / sadness, and a myriad of emotions tied within. I thought about my position in the world, and how lucky I am to enjoy basic necessities every day.
Perhaps what stuck with me the most is the main character Sang Li's neverending faith in a better tomorrow. Her family and struggles are based on a real person, even if the story itself is a fiction write.
The author does an amazing job of making a Cambodian family relatable to the everyperson. I tell people every day that I'm reading this wonderful novel, and encourage all of you to do so. I will pass this around until the spine falls apart!

No comments:

Post a Comment