Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Matched by Ally Condie

I decided to read Matched by Ally Condie after a friend stumbled upon a copy and loved it.

Everything in Cassia's world is regulated - from the clothes she wears to the food portions blandly provided by The Society. Set in a dystopian future, Matched is the first installment in a trilogy sure to appeal to fans of The Hunger Games, The Giver, or George Orwell's 1984.

In a world where even your best match is selected for you, Cassia struggles to deal with the burden of 'choice'. Will she stay with the best friend who is right for her on paper, or follow her heart towards the boy who makes her question everything?

I thoroughly enjoy this type of premise, but what really stood out for me with this one was the writing. Condie has a way of captivating you so that when you put down the book, it feels like letting go of a friend's hand. As I raced through each page, I already knew I couldn't wait to read the sequel.

In MATCHED, character development is focused heavily on Cassia - the friends and family around her don't change much. I'm hoping to see more development of Xander and Ky as the story progresses. I'm excited to have another series to root for! Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment