Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

I found a copy of Delirium by Lauren Oliver at a rummage sale, and thought “Well this seems interesting; I’ll give it a go.”

Delirium is set in a world where love is a disease known as ‘amor deliria nervosa’. The powers that be have developed a cure, a handbook, and countless safeguards to ensure no one falls in love – and no one that falls in love survives. Through lies and manipulation, a dystopian society emerges where everyone has a ‘procedure’ at age 18 to cure them from contracting the love disease. Enter the world of Lena – raised by her aunt, eager to emerge into a life without emotion. That is, until she meets Alex. Just maybe love is not the worst thing that can happen.
Until I found out this was a trilogy, I was disappointed in the ending. I want to know what happens to all these people caught in a web of lies. I don’t understand the negative reviews, as this is a gem of a beginning. The characters lack growth for a long time because their society demands it, which has nothing to do with the writing. Oliver crafts a wonderful world in a believable sense.

My favorite part about this YA dystopian/romance novel is the actual romance that develops between Lena and Alex. There is no let’s-jump-into-bed awkwardness, no possessive creepiness – there’s simply a growing relationship building between two people who seek a brighter tomorrow. I want to wake up in a world where this is the reality instead of everyone wishing for a microwaved – instant and hot – affair.

Overall, I will purchase the next two at full price just to find out what happens to Lena, Alex, and their families. That should say enough. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment