Pages

Monday, September 17, 2018

The Supervillain and Me by Danielle Banas

First Impression: I'm excited to see if this is a supervillain love story or what else unfolds.


Characters: Teenagers who sometimes act like adults and other times awkward children - so about right for the target audience.

World Building: Supers have powers, but there isn't a whole lot that goes into why. We're sort of dropped into the world, but it's not too distracting.

Writing Style: I can tell this is Banas' first book. While the last ten chapters are better than the rest of the book, there were many problematic things for me. The author is trying to hard sometimes to make the teenagers awkward. Certain dialogue is distracting and pulls the reader out of the story.

What I Enjoyed: As I mentioned, the last ten chapters really surprised me. Very cool finish and an interesting premise.

Deal Benders: Awkward dialogue at times that doesn't really represent teenagers. Also can we stop the trend of men showing up in women's bedrooms? It's not romantic, it's creepy.

Overall Rating: 3 stars - A fresh take on superhero antics, and an enjoyable quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment