Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King

Quotable: "secrets are a problem, maybe the biggest problem of all. They weigh on the mind and take up space in the world."


Characters: Follow Gwendy from childhood through becoming an adult, while she carries a burden none of us want to carry. The man in the hat is both charming and creepy, he arrives with cliffhanger information and a smile on his face.

World Building: I've always been a fan of Stephen King's ability to craft a world. Even when he only has 171 pages to do so, the scene is painted using enough gray to be realistic with a rainbow of the fantastic.

Writing Style: King builds suspense like no one else I've read. This tale is haunting yet plausible. Moral dilemmas make commentary on current events, wrapped in a bubble of fiction.

What I Enjoyed: I liked how I didn't know what to expect. Without ruining anything, there were scenes I never saw coming. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed this author's work, but a good reminder of what he's capable of under the right conditions.

Deal Benders: One of the main villains falls a bit flat as a character, but it doesn't really take away too much from the story.

Overall Rating: 4 stars - I really liked it, and the length was very appropriate for the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment