Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2018

The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia #4) by Walter Moers

First Impression: The title alone, and the idea of a whole city of books is enough to sweep me off my feet!

Characters: A plethora of imaginitive characters who make up Zamonia. My favorites were the Booklings. The endless names of fictitious authors and books became exhausting though...

World Building: A fully realized world built of its characters, Zamonia is unlike anything you've ever imagined.

Writing Style: Somewhere between Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, Moers has a lovely way with words. If only many of them weren't so distracting from the story.

What I Enjoyed: Fanciful and unique, with elements any book lover will adore. Who doesn't want to live in a city of books? The last half of this book is best, so if you find yourself getting bored you can always skip ahead.

Deal Benders: The endless prattling on about specific books or the inane history of one particular author or event removed me from the story long enough to walk away multiple times. I found myself really <i>wanting</i> to like this book, and I will try others by this author since I've heard good things.

Overall Rating: Somewhere between 2-2.5 stars. The elements didn't come together for me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment