Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Vox by Christina Dalcher

Quotable: "As of two minutes ago, my name isn't Jean. My name is Thief."


Characters: I adore a strong female character, with real struggles and no time for victimization.

World Building: A scary yet not too far from realistic dystopian future, where religious zealots try to silence women in a return to the good old days. Stark and unnerving.

Writing Style: I was captivated by Dalcher's writing. Accessible yet surprising, she entrances from the first sentence of every chapter. This is difficult to maintain from the initial excitement of a first page, so I was very impressed by such a feat. The research and explanation behind the neuroscience shows a care for accuracy and detail. I'm still a bit speechless after finishing this book.

What I Enjoyed: I finished this book in one day - I could not put it down! The story telling, characters, and writing style made me an instant fan of this author. The sparse cover, print and chapter length selection, everything timed perfectly together. I can't wait to read more of her work.

Deal Benders: The rare occasion where I can't find anything wrong with a book. <3

Overall Rating: 5 stars - It's been some time since a book grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go. I'm so glad I made this my next Goodread!

No comments:

Post a Comment