Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine

First Impression: A book about libraries, yes please!

Characters: When characters become like friends, you know an author understands how to create them. Unger brings depth and distinction to each character as the highlight of this first installment.

World Building: Visceral and chilling. A future where owning books is a crime, and society is afraid of the librarians.

Writing Style: Well-paced, beautiful prose. Plot pieced together with background information in the form of letters. I appreciate this type of story telling.

What I Enjoyed: This is not a happy tale, yet an important realization of a cold reality within the realm of possibility. Many times in history groups have attempted to control the reading of the masses. I'm reminded of when slaves and women in this country were not allowed to read. Times when books were banned in many nations, or even burned to silence a population.

Deal Benders: In the second book I would like to see some hope for these characters and the world. Although wonderful, it was a bit bleak.

Overall Rating: 4 stars - I haven't read anything quite like Ink and Bone, which is hard to accomplish. I'm going to buy the next one as soon as my queue clears.

For Fans Of: Books about books! The Giver, Fahrenheit 451

No comments:

Post a Comment