Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2018

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

Quotable: "Rishi was a naturally good friend, she could tell. The kind of guy who thought your every fight was his as well."



Character Development: When I realized this was a story about arranged Indian marriages, I was not excited to finish it. I expected misogyny and anti-feminist ideas, but was pleasantly surprised to find Dimple Shah has a mind of her own! I was happy that Rishi went from a rigid planner who always obeys his parents to his own - still respectful - adult. Their relationship and romance is realistic and adorable, which I was not expecting.

Writing Style: Readers from any background can pick up this story and gain insight into another culture without feeling out of place. It takes talent for authors like Menon to accomplish this.

What I Enjoyed: I wanted to know how these two would end - reading large chunks of this book at a time. I'm glad someone in my book club added it to the list, because I otherwise might not have given it a chance.

Deal Benders: Many Indian words and phrases are used, and the meaning often gets lost in translation. The author does her best, but once in a while it draws away from the story when you have to lookup a word in another language and hope it was translated correctly.

Overall Rating: 3 stars for a solid enjoyable young adult becoming story.

No comments:

Post a Comment