Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

The Twelve by Justin Cronin

I won a copy through the Goodreads' Firstreads program.

I just have to start with Bravo! When Stephen King and TIMES endorse something, you know it's probably going to be decent. THE TWELVE by Justin Cronin also won Goodreads' Choice 2012 award, no surprises there. However, I kept putting off reading this one as my 'next' because of its intimidating length.

What is this 624 page monolith about? First off, it's a sequel - something I did not know until partway into reading. Although I wish I read THE PASSAGE first, this can be read as a stand-alone novel as well. Justin Cronin does a wonderful job of back story in the first few pages with a biblically metered section, which I
greatly appreciated.

There are a myriad of strong characters who develop in so many different ways. I'm not a fan of spoilers, so that might be a bit vague. This is a post-apocalyptic wonder featuring a man-made plague with horrific ramifications. No, it's not zombies this time. Although fictional, THE TWELVE reads so very real that you are immersed in a future almost palpable. Can humans survive this new world, or will something else take over? Do we even want to survive?

Moving forward in time, each section is broken up much like a history book. I appreciated the organization, as sometimes authors tend to jump all over the place. Each timeline has its own characters and setting, which eventually weave into one the further along you go. There is a feeling that everything is connected, even if some things are left up to chance.

The characters, oh the characters! I can still feel them around me like ghosts of people I once knew. Getting to know where they came from and what drive each one really pulls the story along. There are families and strong bonds forged in the midst of destruction and chaos. Each one is so hopelessly, brilliantly human.

I have been waiting for a new series to wow me. I have found a new favorite author! Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment